CA Consumer Privacy Act Policy
The California Consumer Privacy Act Policy was Updated on December 30, 2020
Purpose and General Principles
The purpose of this California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) policy is to provide timely notice, at or before the point of collection, to California residents, also known as “Consumers,” regarding the categories of personal information collected online or and how we use their personal information. This policy provides instructions how Consumers can exercise their right to deletion and a right to receive a copy of their information. Our Website Privacy Notice further describe our policies and practices related to your privacy.
Personal information is defined by the CCPA as any information that identifies, relates to, describes, can reasonably be associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a resident or household.
Personal Information does not include publicly available information lawfully made available from federal, state, or local records, and deidentified or aggregated consumer information. Aggregated information includes Internet Protocol addresses, browser type, device type, operating system, page views, referring URLs, destination URLs, dates and times of site visits, and other information collected primarily for statistical purposes.
Personal Information We Collect or Disclose
We collect information from you and about you to:
- provide you personalized experiences,
- send you recommendations on products and services of interest to you,
- manage, analyze, and measure our content and advertising,
- understand who visits our website, and
- improve our products and services, including new product and service development through your access or use of our website.
You must provide us with Personal Information when you send us an email or complete a self-service transaction with us via our website. We will use your Personal Information to identify, authenticate, and fulfill your service request.
Categories of Personal Information We Collect and Share About Consumers
Below are the categories of personal information about consumers we collect and/or disclosure to third parties or service providers for a business purpose. Depending on your relationship with the decommissioning of the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station, some or all of the following categories of Personal Information may have been collected from you within the last twelve (12) months.
Consumer Personal Information Rights
California residents have rights to their data. And, California law restricts certain business practices, listed below. Please refer to the “Contact Us” section with questions.
Do Not Sell Personal Information
We do not sell personal information, including consumers under 16 years of age.
Right to Know
Consumers have the right to submit two free requests, every 12-months, to request we provide them certain information about how we handled their personal during the prior 12-prior months from the date the request is received, including:
- categories of personal information collected,
- specific pieces of personal information collected,
- the categories of sources from which the business collected personal information,
- the business purposes for collecting their personal information,
- the categories of personal information we disclosed to share with a third party for a business purpose; and
- categories of personal information disclosed to a third party.
Unless otherwise specified in the request, the copy will be delivered in an electronic format. To protect certain sensitive types of personal information, such as social security or bank account numbers, we will inform you if we have collected these data elements during the 12-month period, but not include it in the report. California residents may exercise this right by submitting an online request or by calling us at (800) 655-4555.
Right to Deletion
California residents have the right to request deletion of their personal information collected about them, subject to certain exemptions. Once we receive and verify your request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Share personal information as ordered by the California Public Utilities Commission, engaging with public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest when the information's deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research's achievement.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.) pursuant to Chapter 3.6, beginning with Section 1546 of Title 12 of Part 2
- Enable solely internal uses reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us, which follows this Notice.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information compatible with the context in which you provided it.
California residents may exercise this right by submitting an online request or by calling us at (800) 655-4555.
Usually the information we collect falls into the above exemptions and a request to delete such information will be denied. If we deny your request, we will notify you within 45-days of receipt of your request.
Submitting Requests (Know or Delete)
If you are a California resident, you may exercise your right to right to know or the right to deletion of your information by submitting an online request or by calling us at (800) 655-4555. We will confirm receipt of a request within 10-business days and respond to the request within 45-calendar days from the time the request is received.
Authorized Agents on Behalf of a Consumer
Consumers who would like an Authorized Agent to act upon their behalf, please complete the Agent Authorized & Personal Information Request form, returning the original, notarized document to the address listed at the top of the form.
Power of Attorney
If you have a Power of Attorney and would like to submit a request on behalf of a California resident, please send your Power or Attorney Document along with the completing our form, which is found at this link to CCPA@sce.com.
We may deny a request from agents who do not verify their own identity or submit proof that they have been authorized by the data subject. Such requirements, however, will not apply where you have provided the authorized agent with power of attorney under Cal. Prob. Code Sections 4000 to 4465.
Minors and Legal Guardians of Minors
If you are a minor or a legal guardian of a minor, you may submit a request by completing one of the following forms:
Verification Process Used for Consumer Requests
Before fulfilling your request, we must authenticate your identity or the identity of your authorized agent. If you are current or former customer, we will match our system information with what you provided at the time of the request. If you are a non-customer (third party), we use a third-party authentication service to confirm your information.
Depending on your relationship with our company, you must indicate if you are a former or current customer, or non-customer, first and last name, address, phone number on file, best contact number (if different), your email address on file, customer account number (if former or current customer), preferred report delivery method, and interval meter data (if former or current customer). For deletion requests, enter the pieces of personal information to be deleted in the Comments box. The information provided will be used to confirm your identity in our system.
Right to Non-Discrimination for the Exercise of a Consumer’s Privacy Rights
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. This means we will not:
- Deny you services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for services or a different level or quality of services.
Retention of Personal Information
We retain your Personal Information for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the transactions you have requested, or for legitimate business purposes, such as complying with our legal obligations including United States’ federal, state, and local laws. As retention periods vary for different types of Personal Information, based on business purpose, actual retention periods vary. For example, Personal Information provided in an application for community funding and donation programs has a different retention period than a request for company information or submitting an employment application.
Acceptance of Terms in This Notice
We may change the terms in this Notice. Any changes made to the Notice will be posted on our website as soon as reasonably possible. We recommend you periodically review this Notice to find out if any changes have been made to this Notice since your last visit to our website. Any changes made to the Notice will be effective as of the date at the beginning of this Notice. Your use of our website will indicate your acceptance and consent to the terms in the Notice then in effect.
If you have questions regarding this Notice, please contact us at:
Southern California Edison
Attention: Liese Mosher
5000 Pacific Coast Highway
San Clemente, CA 92674
Note that information regarding these contacts or correspondence with Southern California Edison may be retained in a file specific to you.