Personal Information Request Notice
The SONGS Community Personal Information Request Notice was last updated on Dec. 30, 2019
This Personal Information Request Notice (“Notice”) for California Residents supplements the information contained in SONGS Community website Privacy Notice, and applies solely to all visitors, users, and others who reside in the State of California ("consumers" or "you"). We adopted this notice to comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA) and any terms defined in the CCPA have the same meaning when used in this notice.
Information We Collect
Our Website collects information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or device ("Personal Information"). Depending on your relationship with the decommissioning of the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station, some or all of the following categories of Personal Information may have been collected from you within the last twelve (12) months.
Personal Information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records
- Deidentified or aggregated consumer information
- Information excluded from the CCPA's scope, such as:
- Health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data; or
- Personal Information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FRCA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver's Privacy.
Use of Personal Information
We may use or disclose Personal Information we collect for one or more of the following business purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information. For example, to request a walking tour or speaker
- To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses
- The third parties we contract with to provide business-related services such as needing access to such Personal Information, but only (a) to the extent necessary to render authorized, related services; and (b) provided they have agreed in writing to adhere to certain confidentiality and security obligations consistent with the terms of this Privacy Notice
- When good faith disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to the request of a governmental agency
- As ordered by state or federal governmental agencies with jurisdiction over us, when legally entitled to such information
- As required by law, such as to comply with a warrant, subpoena, or similar legal process
- To provide, support, personalize, and develop our Website, products, and services
- For testing, research, analysis, and product development, including to develop and improve our Website, products, and services
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all Company assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by the Company about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
The Company will not collect additional categories of Personal Information or use the Personal Information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
Sharing Personal Information for a Business Purpose
The Company may disclose your Personal Information to a service provider for a business purpose. When we disclose Personal Information for a business purpose, we enter a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that Personal Information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract.
Disclosures of Personal Information for a Business Purpose
Depending on your relationship with the decommissioning of the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station, in the preceding twelve (12) months, the Company may have disclosed the following categories of Personal Information for a business purpose:
|B||Personal Information Categories Listed in the California Customer Records Statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e))|
|C||Protected Classification Characteristics Under California or Federal Law|
|F||Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity Information|
|K||Inferences Drawn from Other Personal Information|
Your Rights and Choices
The CCPA provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their Personal Information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that the Company disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your Personal Information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of Personal Information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the Personal Information we collected about you.
- Our business purpose for sharing that Personal Information.
- The categories of service providers with whom we share that Personal Information; and
- The specific pieces of Personal Information the business collected about you.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that the Company delete any of your Personal Information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your Personal Information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the Personal Information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.)
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information's deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research's achievement, if you previously provided informed consent
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us
- Comply with a legal obligation
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
- Submitting an online request, or
- Calling us at (800) 655-4555
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected Personal Information or an authorized representative
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with Personal Information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the Personal Information relates to you.
Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us.
We will only use Personal Information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to an additional 45 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
Unless otherwise instructed, we will deliver our response via a secured electronic link to a verifiable email address.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request's receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your Personal Information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
Personal Information Sale Prohibition
We do not sell Personal Information and sharing data is limited to the exceptions as described in the manner listed above.
You do not need to create an account with us to exercise your opt-out rights. We will only use Personal Information provided in an opt-out request to review and comply with the request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services
Acceptance of Terms in This Notice
We may change the terms in this Notice. Any changes made to the Notice will be posted on our website as soon as reasonably possible. We recommend you periodically review this Notice to find out if any changes have been made to this Notice since your last visit to our website. Any changes made to the Notice will be effective as of the date at the beginning of this Notice. Your use of our website will indicate your acceptance and consent to the terms in the Notice then in effect.
If you have questions or comments about this Notice, please contact us at:
Southern California Edison
Attention: Liese Mosher
Post Office Box 128
San Clemente, CA 92674-0128