Community Engagement Panel Meeting - Virtual
The Community Engagement Panel received an update on the dismantlement work taking place across the site. The discussion included the need for continued nuclear-style excellence throughout the project including the process for incorporating lessons learned. Dust mitigation and the offsite shipment of debris, chiefly by rail, also were discussed.
SCE provided an in-depth briefing of how the spent fuel storage system is inspected and, if needed, could be repaired—what’s known as an “aging management program.” Inspections of two canisters will take place later this year prior to license renewal for the system. Engineers also highlighted advancements in robotics to be used for inspections.
San Diego County Supervisor and CEP member Jim Desmond briefed the panel on the latest work of the Action for Spent Fuel Solutions Now coalition, including formation of an Advisory Council. The coalition is urging the federal government to deliver an offsite solution for spent fuel. The discussion included the importance of remaining politically organized and active, as well as the role that SCE and the broader nuclear industry can continue to play.
The CEP welcomed Scott Kibbey as its newest member, representing California State Parks.
CEP Meeting Video
SONGS COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT PANEL VIRTUAL MEETING INSTRUCTIONS
The September 16 Community Engagement Panel (CEP) meeting will be conducted via Microsoft Teams as Southern California Edison and CEP members work to reduce COVID-19 exposure through actions that align with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations on physical distancing.
Members of the public will be able to listen and watch the meeting, as well as participate in a public comment period.
Instructions for joining the meeting will be posted soon.
Instructions for submitting questions before and during the meeting, and signing up for public comment are located below.
How to Join the Meeting
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app
Or call in (audio only)
+1 213-297-0156,,434766993# United States, Los Angeles
Phone Conference ID: 434 766 993#
**Note: For best viewing experience we recommend Google Chrome
Meetings MAY be recorded only if the presenter enables the recording feature AND initiates recording. If the meeting is being recorded, you will be warned and you may either consent to recording by staying on the call or hang up and contact meeting host.
How to submit questions and comments:
To submit questions in advance of a CEP meeting use the email address provided: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions submitted in advance of the meeting and related to agenda topics will be—to the greatest extent possible—addressed in the presentation and/or discussed during facilitated public dialogue
- Questions must be received 2 days prior to the meeting date to be addressed during the meeting or a response will be sent via e-mail following the meeting
- NUCCOMM questions related to agenda topics will be addressed first followed by questions asked during the public comment period.
To submit questions during a CEP meeting, use the link provided: CEP Question and Comment Form
- Questions will be added to the queue in order of receipt
- Questions related to the meeting agenda topics—to the greatest extent possible—will be addressed / discussed during facilitated public dialogue
How to sign up to speak during a CEP meeting public comment period:
- To sign up to speak, complete the CEP Question and Comment Form
- The CEP Chairman will call on individuals by name one at a time to speak and the Microsoft Teams microphone will be opened for that individual.
Each person requesting to speak will have three minutes to provide their comments or question.