Regular Meeting on Spent Fuel Storage Defense-in-Depth
The CEP received an update from a nuclear fuel engineer at SONGS about defense-in-depth for onsite storage of spent fuel, including results from inspections of the NUHOMS horizontal storage system. In November 2021, two spent fuel canisters were inspected using robotic, high-resolution cameras that can detect an indication smaller than the thickness of a human hair. In January 2022, the pad and rebar-reinforced concrete modules were inspected. Results show the canisters and structures meet all inspection criteria and remain in excellent condition.
Moving forward, the
NUHOMS system will be inspected every 5 years. The number of inspections
industry-wide is increasing and that will help inform best practices. We will
receive another update on spent fuel defense-in-depth late in 2023.
also heard from Christian Abueg, a representative for Orange County Supervisor Lisa
Bartlett, (the Supervisor also is co-chair of the Actionfor Spent Fuel Solutions Now
(ASFSN) coalition and a member of the CEP). It was encouraging to hear the US
Department of Energy (DOE) recently released a summary of responses to its
consent-based siting process for interim storage and that it has issued a $16
million funding opportunity for communities that have an interest in learning
more about the prospect of hosting a spent fuel storage facility.
coalition’s first webinar on 28 October from 1-2 pm PDT will feature DOE’s Sam
Brinton, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Spent Fuel and Waste Disposition, who
will help us understand the new funding opportunity. To RSVP, email email@example.com.
Dismantlement of outdoor structures and components inside
the containment domes remains ongoing, including work to process and transfer
Greater-Than-Class-C waste to the Independent Spent Fuel Storage Installation through mid-year 2023.
The CEP also received an update about liquid batch
releases. Water from the spent fuel pools will be cleaned up and released
starting in January 2023, and from the reactor cavities starting in 4Q 2023. SCE
will continue providing 48-hour advance notice through the SONGS website.
- RSVP to participate in the ASFSN webinar with DOE on 28 October by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Watch a time-lapse video of the 445-ton gantry crane being lowered to ground level.
- Watch a video of the high-tech inspection of the NUHOMS storage facility for spent fuel.
- Visit the SONGS community engagement page to stay up to date on the CEP, sign up for public walking tours, and request a speaker for your next civic group meeting.
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app
Or call in (audio only)
+1 213-297-0156,,19092642# United States, Los Angeles
Phone Conference ID: 190 926 42#
Meetings MAY be recorded only if the presenter enables the recording feature AND initiates recording. If the meeting is being recorded, you will be warned and you may either consent to recording by staying on the call or hang up and contact meeting host.
To submit comments in advance of a CEP meeting use the email address provided: email@example.com
- Comments submitted in advance of the meeting and related to agenda topics will be—to the greatest extent possible—addressed in the presentation and/or discussed during facilitated public dialogue
- Comments must be received 2 days prior to the meeting date to be addressed during the meeting or a response will be sent via e-mail following the meeting
- NUCCOMM comments related to agenda topics will be addressed first followed by comments during the public comment period.
To submit comments during a CEP meeting, use the link provided: CEP Comment Form
- Comments will be added to the queue in order of receipt.
- Comments related to the meeting agenda topics—to the greatest extent possible—will be addressed / discussed during facilitated public dialogue
How to sign up to speak during a CEP meeting public comment period
- To sign up to speak, complete the CEP Comment Form
- The CEP Chairman will call on individuals by name one at a time to speak and the Microsoft Teams microphone will be opened for that individual
Each person requesting to speak will have three minutes to provide their comments.